If you ask a student what makes him or her successful in school, you probably won’t hear about the great textbooks or lectures they heard.
Most likely you will hear something like, “It was all Mrs. Smith. She just never gave up on me.” What students take away from a successful education usually centers on a personal connection with a teacher who instilled passion and inspiration for their subject. Successful teachers go beyond what is expected from their students in a variety of ways. “Beyond Teaching” is about not just teaching students the curriculum, but also connecting with them on emotional and mental levels.
In this course you will…
- Reflect on current teaching strategies, as well as how you connect with students and maintain relationships with them in the classroom.
- Explore new ways to avoid burnout
- Analyze how powerful language, listening and other communication behaviors impact student success in the classroom.
- Engage in new classroom activities and reflect on how these changes will impact your classroom.
- Explain how the techniques discussed in the course can be applied to your current and/or future classroom.
- Critique current classroom strategies in regards to emotional and mental connections with students.
- Develop classroom activities that focus on building connections with students so they feel comfortable expressing themselves in a variety of ways.
- Modify current classroom techniques to improve connections with students.
- Compare and contrast current classroom strategies with the new information presented in the course content