This independent study course is designed to provide teachers with tools and strategies to teach like a PIRATE. The word “PIRATE” in his book is an acronym describing six traits of a passionate, on-fire, engaging teacher. It stands for:
- Passion: Infusing your teaching with content passion, professional passion and personal passion
- Immersion: Your ability to completely give yourself up to the moment and fully “be” with your students
- Rapport: Making students feel important by developing relationships with them
- Ask and Analyze: Ask great questions and always analyze your situation
- Transformation: Make your classroom and teaching exceptional and worth noticing
- Enthusiasm: Light fires under your students with zeal for education
As teachers complete the course lessons they will be able to reflect on their current teaching strategies and begin to implement new, possibly more effective teaching strategies.
In this course you will:
- Develop engaging lessons that will draw students into the content being taught.
- Learn techniques to help increase your own passion as an educator and pass that passion onto the students
- Create and develop your own teaching strategies and provide examples to implement in the classroom
- Acquire skills beneficial not only for your students, but for yourself as an educator as well.
- Develop techniques unique to your own classroom subject area
- Describe the effects of implementing particular techniques in the classroom and the impact it has on students